Though it happens rarely, if a problem arises during a stay or walk, communication with your sitter is key. That’s where Rover’s Resolution Center comes in. It’s a place for pet owners and sitters to discuss issues and come to positive resolutions together.
In this article, we’ll go over tips for resolving problems quickly and effectively.
Resolving the Issue
Pet owners who come to positive resolutions most often tend to embrace a few ideas:
- Empathy. Your sitter may have faced unexpected challenges and have likely done their best to address issues in the moment.
- Understanding. Realize that your sitter doesn't know your dog like you do, and they may use problem solving techniques that are different from your own.
- Acknowledgement. Your dog is an individual, just like you. Even under the best possible care, your dog may act differently than you've ever experienced.
- Trust. Your sitter has your dog's best interests at heart and likely did their best given the tools they had, including the care instructions you provided.
Preventing Problems Next Time
Communication isn't only important when a problem arises—it's just as crucial before a booking starts to prevent problems.
- Write out your expectations. Record everything you expect from your sitter, even if you've told them verbally. Sitters are only human after all, and sometimes they might forget something. Having a detailed Rover message or care instructions to reference in case they have questions is ideal.
- Offer clarity around communication. Let your sitter know how often you expect to receive updates and when you'd like to be alerted of any issues. Some sitters may assume you don't want to be bothered and will attempt to solve problems on their own.
- Plan ahead. It's always better to give your sitter more info rather than not enough, even if you're not sure they'll use it. If they happen to need it, it'll be right at their fingertips. For example, make sure to supply an emergency contact, just in case.
We’re here for you if you’d like additional advice or help after filing a case in Rover’s Resolution Center. You can get in touch with us via the Questions for Rover tab within your case.