We get it: Sometimes plans change and you may need to cancel a service before it’s begun. No problem—you can do this all within your Rover account.
First things first: know your sitter’s cancellation policy. Depending on the date of the cancellation and your sitter’s policy, you may be entitled to a full or partial refund. You can find out what policy your sitter has in place by visiting their profile page.
Hover your mouse over the cancellation policy to read more. You’ll see details about one of the following three policies:
For boarding and house sitting:
- You'll get a full refund if you cancel before the stay begins.
- If you cancel after the stay or walk begins, you'll get a 50% refund for the first seven cancelled days and a 100% refund for any additional cancelled days.
For walks, day care and drop-in visits:
- You’ll get a full refund if you cancel before the day’s service is delivered.
- You'll get a full refund if you cancel by 12:00 noon the day before the stay begins (12:00 noon is determined by your sitter's time zone).
- If you cancel after 12:00 noon the day before the stay begins, you'll get a 50% refund for the first seven cancelled days and a 100% refund for any additional cancelled days.
- You'll get a full refund if you cancel by 12:00 noon one week before the stay begins (12:00 noon is determined by your sitter's time zone).
- If you cancel after 12:00 noon one week before the stay begins, you'll get a 50% refund for the first seven cancelled days and a 100% refund for any additional days.
1. Navigate to your Inbox by selecting the envelope icon.
2. Select the Upcoming Stays tab and then select the request you want to cancel.
3. Once the request is open, locate the gray box that lists your service details. Select Cancel booking.
4. A pop-up form will ask you to give some details about why you’re canceling. This message goes directly to Rover Support and will not go to your sitter. Select Submit Request.
5. Select Yes, I want to cancel.
If you haven’t told your sitter that you’ll need to cancel a service already, it’s a good idea to communicate that to them now in your request messages.
Once your cancellation has been initiated, you and your sitter will receive confirmation emails from Rover. You can expect your refund (dependent on your sitter’s cancellation policy) to the original form of payment within 1–3 business days.
How do I cancel a service after it’s begun?
If you need to cancel a service that is currently in progress, please contact Rover Support.
Will my sitter’s cancellation policy apply to booking date change requests?
That depends. A cancellation penalty is no longer automatically charged when a booking’s dates are updated to a different set of dates and the service type, length and pets remain the same. Example:
A sitter has a moderate cancellation policy. On Sunday evening, an owner requests that their Monday to Wednesday boarding stay be pushed back to Wednesday to Friday. The sitter modifies the dates accordingly using the “modify booking” feature. In this scenario, a cancellation penalty will not automatically be charged.
That said, since short-notice date changes can be disruptive to a sitter’s business, some sitters may choose to apply their cancellation policy to a date change. If a sitter decides to enforce their cancellation policy, they’ll ask you to cancel the original stay, and rebook for the new dates.